“In Zanzibar Traditional Dhow Sailing onboard the Sailing Dhow SUR is an absolute must for all adventurous travellers and avid sailors!”
* PRIVATE CHARTER ONLY *
“SUR” is a 60ft (18 metre) Traditional Sailing Dhow located in Zanzibar, Tanzania. She was built entirely out of high quality Indian Teak in India in 1991. Soon after she was built, she sailed to northern Germany where she was converted into an ocean sailing yacht capable of major ocean crossings. Upon completion of her refit, she sailed around the world and most recently the western Indian Ocean until she arrived in Tanzania where she is now permanently based.
SUR has just completed a major refit which included many new comforts along with an upgrade to her navigation equipment. Although she now provides modern comfort and electronics for a luxurious cruise, she retains the traditional Dhow design as well as the Lateen sail. In essence, she is very much a Dhow. Arguably SUR is the most beautifully set up Day Charter and Live Aboard excursion Dhow in East Africa.
Captain & Crew
- Qualified Captain/Guide
- 2 x Deckhands/Chef
- Day Charters: Maximum 12 Guests
- Overnight & Live Aboard Charters: 2 – 4 Guests
Charter Options – Stone Town
1. Half day Sand Bank Explorer cruise
Depart from Shangani and sail out to remote tidal sand banks in the vicinity of the Stone Town area. Approximate sailing time to the sand bank is 1 – 1.5 hours. Once there, use our tender boat to go snorkelling the submerged reefs or head to the tidal sand bank. Enjoy time sun bathing, swimming and snorkelling and return to Stone Town for the end of the trip. Finger food and drinks served on board the boat and on the sand bank.
2. Full day Island Explorer Cruise
Depart from Shangani and enjoy our Zanzibar Traditional Dhow Sailing over to one of the nearby islands of interest, such as Grave Island or Prison Island. Disembark and explore the islands at your will, then set off again on SUR and head for a remote tidal sand bank frequented by no other. Once there, use the tender for snorkelling the submerged reefs and heading onto the tidal sand bank. Enjoy time sun bathing, swimming and snorkelling and return to Stone Town for the end of the trip. Finger food, lunch, and drinks served on board the boat and on the sand bank.
3. Sunset Cruise
Depart from Shangani by 15.00 hrs and set sail along the shore of Stone Town. Depending on the weather and wind, sail northward toward Grave Island or southward along the coast enjoying the beautiful evening light. Return to Stone Town as the sun sets and witness the arrival and departure of commercial Dhows entering or leaving the port area. Listen to the call of prayer over this magical old city, enjoying it all from the luxurious comfort on board SUR. Disembark by 19.00 hrs.PRICES
- Builder: Traditional Dhow Builders in India.
- Model: Traditional Build
- Type: Traditional Indian Dhow
- Year of Manufacture: 1991
- Length: 60ft (18 metres)
- Beam: 15ft (4.5 metres)
- Boat Cruising Speed: 4 – 6 knots
- Anchors: Double hydraulic windlass operating two large 60 kg anchors with ample chain.
- Water: Pressurised fresh water system for sinks, showers.
- AC/DC Power: 12V, 24V, 220V power generated by solar and wind.
- Motor Specs: 1 x 220 HP 3306 Caterpillar Diesel 6 – cylinder engine.
- Motor Year of Manufacture: 1991
- 1 x Mast
- Single traditional Lateen sail
“SUR” features a Traditional Dhow deck converted to teak decking with inlay, raised cabin ceilings, central covered cockpit, two-helm steering, upper sun deck, large aft double cabin with couch, large fore twin/double cabin, two separate heads and showers, lower deck lounge and galley.
Navigation & Electronics
- Raymarine GPS Chartplotter
- Raymarine Radar
- Raymarine CHIRP Downvision Fish Finder
- Icom VHF Radio Base Station (25W)
- Hydraulic Steering with Raymarine Autopilot
- Navigation Lights Icom VHF Submersible Hand-Held Radios (5W)
- 4 x Gas burner Hob and Oven
- Double bowl sink
- 3 x Engel Fridge/Freezers
Cabins & Heads
- Cabins: 1 x aft double cabin, 1 x stern double/twin cabin.
- Heads: 2 x Electric
- Showers: 2 x freshwater hot/cold water
- 1 x Double Sunbed or Star gazing bed on the sundeck.
- 3 x Sun beds on the top deck
- Lounge with Couches
- Comfortable seating throughout the dhow
- Water access via side mounted step ladders attached to gunnels
- Indoor and outdoor Sound System
- 32” Flatscreen HD TV
- Electrical switchboard.
Safety Equipment Onboard
- Life Vests
- Smoke signal
- VHF 25W base station
- Fire extinguishers
- Life ring
- Life raft